Friday, November 30, 2012



This semester I have been Student Teaching in 7th grade Social Studies. I know you’re thinking it must be a blast interacting with these awkward and young searching souls on a regular basis… and you’re right.  It is great.

In the midst of the self-conscious behaviors and the aroma of pre-teenagers in desperate need of a lesson in deodorant, I’m able teach a little bit of World History. We’ve been focusing on areas of Asia- lately China and Korea in particular.

Throughout this study, there are some specific lessons that have been fascinating.

That's a great wall, alright.
First, the Emperor Qin, who only ruled for 15 years that managed to execute a building project that stretched 5500 miles and has lasted for over two thousands years. The Great Wall of China has remained one of the world’s most popular wonders, symbolizing the desire of China to keep the world at a distance. Some early Chinese leaders identified China as the Middle Kingdom because their national pride placed China at the center of the universe.

Demilitarized Zone



Second, the demilitarized zone (DMZ) dividing North and South Korea after the Korean War. Today, the DMZ is only 2 miles wide and 150 miles long and lined with barbed wire, land mines, and armed soldiers. It could be considered one of the scariest places on earth. (
Disclaimer: self-declared judgment for the pictures and video footage I have seen…The hotel in the Shining was also pretty scary. Tie.)

What does this ancient and modern history have in common?

Walls.

The same barriers that divide us in our homes, schools, and office cubical also exist on a larger scale.

In China, that scale is massive and wondrous yet a symbol of division and pride.

In Korea, a wall that is powerful and deadly, representing tension and unresolved conflict that has lasted several years.

With understanding this concept of barricades throughout history I see no difference in how we handle ourselves as individuals.

We each build walls of division that may be built upon division, arrogance, unresolved tension or pain that prevent us from experiencing community.

There times I’ve been heartbroken, disappointed, and closed myself off from those I love the most just as much as people I don’t know at all.

Also, my own spiritual self suffers because I have the ability to build blockages, refusing to deal with my own issues and heal accordingly.

When these walls are up, I become reactive to the smallest frustrations, defensive to all criticism and full of pride. With the way I respond to the threat of intrusion to my defense, you could say I’m taking the T. Roosevelt approach and “speaking softly and carrying a big stick”. (History references come naturally right now, forgive me.)

Unlike the old adage, "Speek softly and carry a big stick, you will go far", suggests, I do NOT go far. 

Instead, I fall farther away from people and my junk piles up. The walls grow higher and I end up miserable and alone with my isolating principles.

I’ve indentified dividers I have built up in my life that obstruct authentic unity with other people. And myself.

Maybe you will recognize some of these walls.

The Wall of Excuses: Do phrases like “I’m too tired”, “I already do so much”, “I do not like him/her, this/that, fill-in-the-blank” sound familiar? Same here. 

It’s the age old excuse of excuses excusing us from having exception experiences. Try that tongue twister.

Busy Wall: The days that I’m busy doing things for several groups of people, going from place to place, eating in the car, and guzzling caffeinated beverages in all form do little to help me connect with those that I’m running around to please. It’s an easy place to hide, though, because it appears as if you’re thriving and successful and passionate. Really, when I’m behind the busy wall all I have are crumbs in my car, a long to-do list, and stress. Stress. STRESS!

The Wall of Patterns: This is what I like to call an accidental barricade. Oftentimes we naturally build our routine, block by block, and these traditions may put us behind a blockade from anyone that does not fit into our schedule, our standards, or what simply feels comfortable.

A pattern wall may also be built before we even enter the world! Our parents, our parents’ parents, and their way of life, opinions, and values may be already stacked and we may be positioning ourselves away from truth and authentic relationship without even knowing the reasons why.

DNB Wall: “Do Not Disturb” may be a good thing to place on your door during a vacation but it is no way to live. Of course, you can’t share all the dirty details of your life with everyone you meet, by for heaven sakes, ask for help every once in awhile (I’m talking to myself, by the way).

People have experienced painful, tragic events throughout life. All have experienced hurt on some degree. Hurt hurts and unresolved anger and grief will build walls within ourselves and cause us to refrain from living in community. 

So, now that I've identified some possible walls that obstruct connection, how do we find break them down? 

Well, I don't know for sure the answer to that question because I think it's different for everyone. 

(For the record, I don't know what'll take down the DMZ. Also, since we can see the Great Wall of China from space, I don't think that's going down anytime soon, either.)

I do know it begins with identifying these obstacles and slowly inviting honest interactions within our personal space. It will mean a change to our perfect schedule, giving up a commitment, or having a difficult conversation. It also will translate to giving love to those that may not deserve it or want it and accepting the same grace back in return. 

So, I challenge you to begin breaking a wall by taking a few pieces down and letting someone or some truth to sneak inside.

It's these honest encounters that will lead to accountability and change. 

It's the way God intended his children to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment