Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What's in a Funk.

Funk?

Funky?

Funkadelic?

What comes to mind: The song "September" by Earth, Wind, and Fire.

Yes, it's my current guilty pleasure... unrelated to the current month, I promise. 


Okay, in all seriousness, what I am referring to is being in, what we cool people, call a "funk". That special lull, after a season of inspiration, where things seem to be not so particularly interesting or exciting. 

After being motivated by a series of discoveries about God and about my own life and about my future, I was on fire. 

These last few days, I haven't felt as inspired. In fact, I am actually having to put actual effort into this blog post.

Effort.... Imagine that.

Back to the starting thought.

September has more personal meaning then just a catchy tune, rather, it's one of those songs that you hear and it automatically brings you back, like a theme song to a certain place and time of your life. 

This last summer, as a youth intern in Littleton, Colorado, myself and a few other adults took a group of teenagers on a camping trip. Mostly boys came along, especially when word got out that there wouldn't be running water or a bathroom other then the few rocks under the trees about ten yards away. Yeah, this  is the real, hard core lifestyle of a camper. 

Lexi, Amanda, Myself, and Megan on our wilderness expedition.

On this trip, the three girls and I that were there to brave the wilderness didn't know each other too well, initially. We did have something in common, though:

All of us found ourselves in a position where we couldn't take it anymore.... We had to find a real toilet. We were done with pretending we were enjoying the whole rock/tree situation. 

I grabbed the keys to a Dad's Jeep that was sitting on the side of the campsite, hopped in, and went in search for some sort of hole in the ground. One of the young ladies grabbed a blank CD, asks "Kristin, what do you think is on this?"

I say, "Let's see." and put the CD in the player, and low and behold.....the simple guitar plucking leaves us confused, then.....bam. It's disco time.

So, myself, and three beautiful high school ladies, found ourselves bonding through this song that caused us to move like it was 1970-something. We listened over and over, danced in the rain next to the most beautiful scene of a mountain and lake I had ever seen and it was perhaps the most simple and joyful moment I have experienced recently.

The Twin Lakes outside of Leadville, Colorado and our campsite location.

Now, let's see the two ideas come together:
What's in a Funk?

A lot of frustration and lull, if you're not careful.

What can be in a Funk?

I have come with these few personal guidelines when I find myself getting bored or uninspired or unmotivated:

1) Remember those moments when you were dancing in the rain in the beautiful scenery, the times you didn't care if you had to stay up a few extra hours to help a friend, or when you felt God moving you in every moment of your day.  If you don't believe that God is faithful in all seasons of your life, then you don't see God the way He wants you to see Him

2) Make those moments happen. I read a quote in my last few"boring" days, by Billy Graham, and I really needed to read it.

Only those who want everything done for them are bored. 

So, if you are waiting for something to be done: do it.

Waiting to see something big? Look for it.

Bored with where you are? This leads me to my next point...

3) Look Around. Last night, once again, in the middle of my funkiness, I was walking across my college campus and found myself saying Hi to someone I don't usually talk to. This led to a conversation with a person that needed encouragement, attention, and prayers. Someone that I probably would have walked right by if I was consumed with the personal inspiration.... consequently to my final thought...

4) You define your own lull. God is never not present. You are only not present. There is plenty of ways to be inspired, to serve, and to seek all around you. So, basically it's me, myself....

And the Funk.

So, I guess I leave you trying to overcome my current Funk. I should probably stop writing....

and thinking about myself.

1 comment:

  1. wonderful! Thank you. Looking out and not in. It is a Godly principle. Blessings! Amy

    ReplyDelete