Monday, November 5, 2012

Behold!


I decided to add this photo because of how realistic it seemed. 
I’m graduating in just a few weeks and before I start getting sentimental, telling you about my future plans and how difficult it is to grow up and let go of my young adulthood, and quoting past presidents and philosophers, I’ll just include this Vitamin C's "Graduation Song" and call it “good”. It captured all my emotions at 8th grade graduation and it still triggers the heartstrings. Plus, I have no official future plans and I’m not quite ready to let go of young adulthood.



What I am writing about is the importance of defining moments.

Whether or not we realize when they’re occurring, there are, in fact, crucial times that make up our character and direct the steps of where we’re headed.

I think of times we decide to stand up for what was right, even when it’s not easy.

The instant we met our best friend.

Driving away from our mothers and fathers with a car fully packed.

Signing a contract, making a commitment, quitting a bad habit.

What I do not understand is why these cliché turning points become ways of characterizing ourselves. It’s as if when we decide to put on a cap and gown or a white dress or a new uniform everything from that moment will, with no doubt, change us forever. In that specific instant.

I’m not challenging the importance of these cliché occasions: they are, indeed, significant.

Except…I don’t believe is that these moments truly define who we are are.

With my current cliché circumstance, about to graduate and starting the “next stage” of life, I don’t find myself anxious about the future plans that I know God has in store, strangely enough. Not the geographic location, vocation, roommate, husband, hobbies, or friends. 

I’ve spent a lot of time worrying about these things for years. As I’m nearing this “next stage”, is it my concern? Nope.

What I find myself troubled with is discovering and focusing the heart of who I’m called to be.

“*See how very much our Father loves us, for he calls us his children, and that is what we are! But the people who belong to this world don’t recognize that we are God’s children because they don’t know him. Dear friends, we are already God’s children, but he has not yet shown us what we will be like when Christ appears. But we do know that we will be like him, for we will see him as he really is.”-1 John 3:1-3 (NLT)

*In the King James Version, instead of the “See how”, this particular passage starts with the word “Behold!” and from what I’ve read, the biblical definition of "Behold!" means PAY ATTENTION. 

LISTEN UP. 

HELLO!?

And what is the message upon this alert for our concentration?

You ARE GOD’S child.

Phew. Wow. Really, God? You want my attention while I’m reading this, and while I’m stressed trying to get all my ducks in a row, you’re simply communicating: You are mine. You were bought at a price. I AM YOURS and that’s the very essence of who you are.

Now when I’m trying to decide where I’m going to be and what I’m going to do, maybe it’s not so much about the specific details of my plans, my salary, and my location. Maybe it has everything to do with recognizing where I belong: and that’s the heart of God. 

1 comment: