Thursday, January 19, 2012

Dumbyphoney.

Allow me to have a moment of truth.

I'm distracted. I have a major problem living in the moment. Being a futuristic thinker and planner, I struggle to fully exist in most conversations, lectures, sermons, or even my own prayers. And... I've found something doesn't help:

Ultimate distraction.

I love to efficiently multi-task and my new smartphone allows me to check my e-mail, the weather, analyze my running route and pace, listen to music, and exercise in recreational Pinterest-ing all in one place. What I've found is that this smartphone makes me a "dumbyphoney" sometimes. 

Dumbyphoney: [noun] 1) someone who glances down at their phone, smartphone-ing in important as well as unimportant conversations, and is generally 80% present or less in most settings 2) one that participates in dumbyphoning [verb]

I lose things and I lose myself in class due to a distracted or mind, whether or not I'm looking at my smart phone, and I'm becoming one of those people I've resented when I'm trying to communicate to a friend and speak to an audience. It's this dumbyphoney side of me!

So, I'm coming up for a dumbyphoney challenge for this next week, leave my phone at home more often, at least one hour a day, and letting it ring or ding or vibrate and to keep on doing what I'm doing without having to stop everything and give attention to my device instead of the human being (s) in front of me. And it's going to be difficult. (yes... I told you this is a moment of truth.)

So, take the dumbyphoney challenge! Separate yourself from your smartphone, computer, or any other distraction that's taking you from the present moment for at least one hour a day. Engage in real life conversation, actually pay attention in that boring class, or open a book for the first time in awhile. It's a simple way to make my days (and maybe someone else's days) more meaningful, purposeful, and better.

Comment with your dumbyphoney experiences and challenges.

2 comments:

  1. Don't think I can do this.....:(
    Ok, I'll try.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technology is a wonderful thing. You can now accomplish more in less time, and even do so with less effort than before. It's easy to become overly dependent on something like that. We forget that the tools we create are for us, not the other way around. Your challenge to yourself is a good start. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete