Friday, December 23, 2011

Timeline.

This week I spent a good 16 hours in the car.... alone. Nothing like a good old fashioned road trip.

I like to take pictures of the sunset while I'm driving... and I've convinced myself it's safe. 

The first few hours were heavenly- just me, a peanut buttered bagel, and my favorite blend of coffee. Peace and quiet were there, too.... and I was grateful for the solitude. It had been awhile since I had nothing else to do but sit, drive, and listen to music... no stressing about a to-do list.

If you've been on Facebook recently, you've probably seen the new timeline layout where you can search your own story by each month, year, and momentary event. It creates a captivating layout filled with your best pictures, friends, words, and moments worth documenting all in one place.


After the first few hours of my road trip had passed, my bagel and coffee were gone and so was the excitement of the beginning of my adventuresome day, I began to travel my timeline of the last few years of my life. It's been a journey with some momentary moments and lots and lots of normal, routined days that, combined, created a transformed, maturing, version of me that I'm having trouble recognizing these days. You see, I'm 22 now... and it seems as if I was just 17, getting ready for prom... wondering where I was going to college...

I've met people, old and young, who are in my life, who are out of my life, and who have all left their mark on influencing the woman I'm becoming. There's also my family who have been faithfully a part of molding, and shaping who I want to be with their unconditional love and remarkable example. I've seen God work in ways that have changed me and the kind of person that I want to be and the kind of family that I one day hope to have. I've struggled in ways that make me want to become better.

I found myself laughing out loud, smiling some, and crying a little bit. Is it the age that I am.... or is this life unpredictable? And beautiful.

Today I switched on Facebook to the new timeline layout. It looks pretty awesome and I may be the only one that thinks this because it is my life....and I'm blessed. (and there's a picture featured at the top during a perfect Colorado day)

What if my life could become something worth sorting through...... taking things one-day-atta-time while also appreciating the value of the big picture that's being painted with every insignificant or momentary event. 

Finding the balance on reflecting on what's been.
what could be.
and what needs to be done to get there.

How will our stories look when all bunched together in our timeline?

"and walk in love, as Christ loved and gave himself up for us...." -Eph. 5:2

No comments:

Post a Comment