Saturday, September 10, 2011

Beauty Rises with the Morning.

All summer I have had the privilege to live in a place where mountains, lush pine, and a beautiful mixture of clouds and blue sky as my backdrop. Ah, the Colorful Colorado. I had never experienced such consistent "beauty" as I define beauty in nature. Every time I glanced at the mountains just outside of the Denver area, it seemed to hit a different angle, and I praised God every time the sun hit a fresh perspective of the picturesque view.



Yes, I do miss these moments of grandeur.

Now, coming back to Nebraska, what we folk like to call "The Good Life" which I've heard should be translated into "It's a Whole-Lotta Nothin'", or "It's Freaking Cold Here" about mid-January, has been a change in the scenery. I haven't necessarily had an awful attitude about the lack of spectacular hiking and fishing opportunities in the state (maybe just the humidity) but I haven't been truly looking, either.

Just yesterday morning I was running right when the sun was coming up. I had no headphones in my ears and was looking for some renewing in the silence. I knew that I would feel refreshed but what I wasn't expecting to experience was a breathtaking view.

 (Much like this one- with the windmill and everything. I promise!)

I was taken aback to the point where I stopped running, which says a great deal (sadly) if you know me. I had this desire to just thank God right there at that specific place and I suddenly felt guilty for not knowing this gorgeous view existed just down the road from me every single morning.

I have always had a good relationship with mornings and find nothing more satisfying then some early-riser quiet time or a jog. Yesterday was different then other "great" mornings because I felt as if the presence of God was in the colors draping the sky, subtly reminding me: 

"Kristin, you don't have to look for me. I'm right here."

I also was compelled to begin looking for beauty: What is beauty, really? 

Is it those moments where you least expect to experience that glimpse of pure, simple enchantment? 

Do I have to wait for something big to happen that I can see in order to appreciate its value? 

Or is their exquisite opportunity surrounding me always, I just think I know what I am supposed looking for? 

These are the questions that have left me challenged. I do find it interesting I had to wake up in order to see this exquisite reminder in my own backyard.

 Maybe I just need to wake up

"Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days."-Psalm 90:14

2 comments:

  1. Awesome thoughts and so true! Thank you. We all need to wake up to the beauty around us and the whispers of God speaking to us through His creation. Blessings! Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of not needing something big to happen in our lives to see God. Thanks for your thoughts on waking up and not waiting for something to happen to me, but to appreciate what we have and see God in it all. :) you're awesome Krist...in

    ReplyDelete