Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Hope for better days.

I asked my Dad not too long ago, when I first started posting, what he thought about my blog. I remember him first saying: "There's a lot of running analogies". True, yes! 

Then, as Dads do, my Dad being a great one, built me up with some encouraging words about what he had been reading, and the conversation left me with these questions: 

"What in the world is this blog supposed to be about?"
"Why do I do this?"
"Am I really that obsessed with running.........?" 

Because I already know the answer to the third question, I decided to try to tackle the first two before I sought out a counselor for my strange addictions. 

I came up with the title "Destination: better days" about a year ago, on a whim, believing it sounded cool or inspiring. Now that I've been pondering, writing, and living more intently, I have found the title to be one that isn't cool or inspiring at all. It never was that great of a title, anyways. Now it just fits. 

When I have the ability to record what I'm doing with my life (just call me 'lucky duck'!) it helps keep myself accountable to live ambitiously, allowing the drive God has placed in my heart to propel me forward to live better days. What does better mean in the context of this blog? Days with purpose, meaning, thoughtfulness, and boldness in faith and love. 




Photo credit: Kasey Yates 

START RUNNING TO STOP TRAFFICKING put on for Tiny Hands International in York, Nebraska was beyond a blessing. I'm convinced it was a success due to answered prayer and the beautiful, willing people that came together with their money and their physical selves to raise awareness of the issue that is sex-trafficking. The smiles of my loved ones, the excitement brought by complete strangers, and the heartbreak of the young people who are faced with the danger of being trafficked all over the world left me speechless and emotional with a thankful heart to God and all that came to run or walk that perfect morning. 

This event my friends and I planned has led me to the decision to live my life much differently, connecting the stirs inside of me to do anything about something with action. Some of these internal prompts are effortless... others take intentional work, which takes time. 

Ah, time. Do we even have 'time'? Perhaps our greatest excuse. Pardon me...MY greatest excuse. I suppose I can only speak for myself. 

START RUNNING TO STOP TRAFFICKING changed who I am. It has caused me to desire to start living better days- to eliminate the excuses that always left me doing nothing about all the somethings I cared so much about.... such as time. Or money. Energy. Creativity. Ability. 

These excuses have deadened me, and when I'm dead inside, nothing will result of each day. I'll just wake up, do some stuff, then go back to bed again. 

In order to live better days I have to start allowing myself to feel something, being vunerable, fully present with God along with the opportunity every day brings through community, revealing ourselves to hurt, to healing, and to hope. 

"Hope is one of the Theological virtues. This means that a continual looking forward to the eternal world is not (as some modern people thing) a form of escapism or wishful thinking, but one of the things a Christian is meant to do. It does not mean that we are to leave the present world as it is. If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were just those who thought most of the next.... we shall never save civilization as long as civilization is our main object. We must learn to want something else more." -C.S. Lewis on Hope in The Joyful Christian

No comments:

Post a Comment