Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Amateur at passion.

I've mentioned I'm a dreamer and I feel as if my dreaming qualities are desperately clinging on as I'm undergoing a certain project with some friends.

An issue has been on my mind ever since being first exposed to its prevalence in our world a little over a year ago is that of human trafficking. With over two million children living in sex slavery in our world and some of those living in our home state of Nebraska, the statistics I have read and the stories I have heard have left me disturbed, desiring to start anything to stop this something that is cheating sweet, sweet children out of their God given innocence. Click here to learn more about the immediate danger many young people are in of being cheated into the sex trafficking system.

My lovely friend Alice and I have the same love for running... a love that may lead us to run out in the blustery wind and ice later today, even. With being bothered by this issue, we decided to do something about it all. Something we wanted to be big, something that may turn out to be quite small. A 5K Run/Walk to raise money for the organization who intercepts children from sex trafficking on the borders of Nepal and India with its roots right out of Lincoln, Nebraska: Tiny Hands International, and thanks to the work of Alice, myself, and a few friends, this event is actually occurring on November 12th at 10 AM, whether rain, shine, or snow.

As I've packed my flyers along with my conviction in my small-town community, my dreamer-self has had to learn a few difficult lessons.

My reality check started when I visited the local police station in early October, asking for their help in blocking off the roads for the 500 (or more) runners and walkers I was envisioning with their matching t-shirts and compassion for the cause. However, when I gave out this number, two policemen were politely holding back their giggles and I could tell that they were either seeing a smaller number or wondering if this was even going to happen.... because, after all, in some ways I still could be considered a child. The police officers agreed to work with me on this day... and I had no idea what I was doing.

Next came the raising of funds, going to local businesses to collect money for t-shirts, snacks, and anything  else to enhance the event. I was seeing big balloons, banners, and iPad giveaways... Now, thanks to the humble donations of a few locally owned businesses, our shirts are subsidized and we may have some bananas and hot chocolate and (fingers crossed!) at least 100 people.

With the lack of support I was receiving in some places, I felt as if I was being perceived as a hippie advocate for world peace, and in all ways, wished I was this in actuality.... because hippie advocates for world peace are much more fearless than I.

...wish I looked this cool.

Understanding the threat of certain issues in our world is not something that is meant to be comfortable, however, it is these stirs in our heart where I feel God leads us to action. Taking action, especially when you are young and unexperienced, is something that has taken a lot of "putting yourself out there" and few receiving your "pitch" with a equal passion. Upon starting this process, I wanted every person I've come into contact with to feel the same conviction to help this sex-trafficking issue that I feel, and, when that doesn't happen, I've been left feeling frustrated and disappointed.

Then, I think about the thousands, millions, of people, places, and situations that are oozing with pain everyday, and all the opportunities that we have as privileged human beings (some call us 'American') and I've accepted that we all have our "gut reaction" to something that we cannot handle, yet, we surprisingly want to dig our hands in it all and make it change.

I guess I.... an amateur at following a call and "making a difference"want to challenge my friends and family to think about that something in this wretched, yet, complicatedly beautiful world that makes you ill. Instead of that one thing causing you to feel nauseated, maybe consider doing something about that thing. It seems to me, chances are not everyone feels the exact same way.

Perhaps this is what we call God's calling. God using us, messy people, to do something good.

Perhaps, when we come together with our own respective ills that cause conviction we may be able to do countless small things that can build to one tremendous change.

PS: Click here to register for the 5K Run/Walk in York, Nebraska on November 12th, 2011.

4 comments:

  1. Kristin,
    This is a great post. It is truly a beautiful thing when people respond to something that they are passionate about. It adds another layer of beauty when people use something seemingly unrelated to the Kingdom (i.e. running) to advance the Kingdom cause that they are passionate about.

    So, keep on doing what you're doing. It may be 100 people this year...but keep showing up using what you have, what you enjoy, what you're good at, what you're passionate about for tools for the Kingdom and your impact will continue to grow.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is incredible! I so wish I could be there for the race, but know that I support you 110%!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every great cause has to start somewhere. Next year it will be bigger.

    Remember the story of the guy picking up starfish on the beach? Every effort will make a difference to someone!!

    Wish I could run!

    Jimmie King

    ReplyDelete
  4. kristin!!! this is incredible!!!! i am so proud and so wish i could be there to help/support. sex trafficking has had a pull at my heart too! resistance is never easy, but normally means you're doing something right. glad to have stumbled on your blog old friend! you are doing awesome things!

    ReplyDelete